So on my list of things I love, right up there with peanut butter is a really good blow dry!
Im a strong believer that if your hair looks good, everything else falls in to place. Great blow outs are few and far between and Ive had my fair share of walking out of the salon, hating it and immediately flipping my head over to switch it in to a high pony or top bun! Finding a good stylist who listens to what you know works – is so important.
finding a great stylist
1) Find some one that listens to what you like and takes into account your hair type and lifestyle. You know your hair better than anyone.
2) If you are naturally dark like me and are going blonde or getting your roots highlighted, ask them how they foil the top quarter of your hair.
3) How many colours are they going to use? ! I go for between 3 – 5 colours depending on the time of year. In summer I go for less because the sun naturally lifts hair lighter and love the balayage french hair colouring technique, it gives the most natural sun kissed high lights and looks great with a bit of root.
4) If your going for a trim, ask how much a little bit is. Hairdresser’s “little bit’s” vary.
5) Watch what they are doing and say whatever you are thinking, I know its hard sometimes but it can help. I have a heart shaped hair line so, I always make sure to ask if they can leave the first little bit of hair out of the foil otherwise my eyebrows look so dark compared to my hair line. Things like this a hair dresser wouldn’t know so by just mentioning it is helping them do their job the best they can for you.
6) If you want Volume at the front – ask the stylist to blow dry the fringe/front section forward but velcro roller it backward’s ( Drying it in just one direction will cause your hair to flatten quicker & lose volume)
7) If you have long hair or hair that knots easily, take a tangle teaser with you or your own brush that you know works well at home. This will save hours while they battle through your hair with a comb!
8) Once you have found a great hair stylist…. relax & enjoy it ! …Its only hair 😉
MY NYC HAIR HOTSPOT
New York City, between between 5th & 6th Avenue is the cities chicest hair hot spot – DreamDry. Founded by Rachel Zoe & Robin Moraetes. A hair salon that specialise’s in blow dries and styling. These guys really know how to do a good blow dry. If only they had one in London too!!
35 West 21st Street
(between 5th & 6th Ave.)
New York, NY 10010